Finding joy in the simple things

08 March 2009

I had a light bulb moment a few weeks ago.

Browsing on Facebook, I came across a wedding that stopped me dead in my tracks. Gemma, who I met when I visited Tasmania in 2007, got married on the beach in January and the photos began popping up. It was beautiful. They had it on a small beach with no decorations, no chairs ... just love and blue waters.
Gemma's simple approach to her wedding celebration helped me realize that while planning all the details of a wedding is heaps of fun, in the end it doesn't matter what it looks. The only things that matter are the fact that you're surrounded by friends and family and that you're now married to your best friend.

I kept browsing through the photos of Gemma's wedding, falling more and more in love with the simplicity and beauty of it all. Finally I realized that this is how I want my wedding to be - simple, joyful and full of love and nature. Jake and I were already basically planning on these aspects being a part of our day, but now I see that I don't really care about centerpieces and table linens and whatnot as much as I care about everyone having a good time and sharing in our love and joy.

However ... I do totally dig Gemma's earrings. When I told her that she said she had an extra pair and promptly mailed them to me. Hooray!

So anyway ... that's what our wedding will be ... Love, joy, simplicity and fun.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

In the next few posts I'm going to be offering some logistical information for all of you who are trekking in from out of town to join us for the wedding. I'll do a post about hotel/campgrounds if you need a place to stay, local restaurants and cafés that are worth checking out while you're here, and a list of churches if you're staying for the weekend and would like a place to worship Sunday morning. If there's any specific topics you'd like me to cover, just let me know. I want to help you enjoy this weekend the best I can :-)

0 comments: